"We all unfortunately depend psychologically on something. Why do we depend? Why is there this urge to depend?...I discover for myself that I depend on something - an audience, say, which will stimulate me. I derive from that audience, from addressing a large group of people, a kind of energy. And therefore I depend on that audience...the more they disagree the more vitality they give me. So I discover that I need an audience because it is a very stimulating thing to address people. Now why?...because in myself i am shallow, in myself i have nothing, in myself i have no source which is always full and rich, vital, moving, living. So I depend. I have discovered the cause.
But will the discovery of the cause free me from being dependent? The discovery of the cause is merely intellectual, so obviously it does not free the mind from its dependency. The mere intellectual acceptance of an idea, or the emotional acquiescence in an ideology, cannot free the mind from being dependent on something which will give it stimulation. What frees the mind from dependence is seeing the whole structure and nature of stimulation and dependence and how that dependence makes the mind stupid, dull, inactive. Seeing the totality of it alone frees the mind.
So i must enquire into what it means to see totally. As long as I am looking at life from a particular point of view or from a particular experience I have cherished, or from some particular knowledge I have gathered, which is my background, which is the "me", I cannot see totally. I have discovered intellectually, verbally, through analysis, the cause of my dependence but whatever thought investigates must inevitably be fragmentary, so I can see the totality of something only when thought does not interfere...when the mind sees the whole picture there is freedom."
his ideas can be pretty good, but gets repetitive and hes abit long-winded in getting to the point.
No comments:
Post a Comment